I’ve been warned by friends that I might hoard in Trader Joe’s – MUST AVOID THIS PLACE – but after checking the prices online which I thought were crazy affordable, I put it on my list of places to visit during my short stay in California because, I have to admit, the supermarket is my happy place (next to a buffet).
I have tried Speculoos Cookie Butter some years back and got hooked. I recall watching movies with a spoon in hand, resisting temptation to finish an entire jar, and failing miserably. Back then it was such a hit at home that we had a stock of at least 2 jars at a time which my brother and I shared. That’s thousands of calories right there!
I set a budget of USD 70 (AED 260) for my Trader Joe’s trip, although most of the items are not for personal consumption but for friends in Dubai who asked me to buy for them. Here are the things that caught my eye:
- Speculoos Cookie Butter. As expected, it was heavenly! Just like before, it was difficult to resist the urge to eat non-stop, and the struggle is just as hard. USD 3.69
- Sea Salt & Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds. Whoever invented the sea salt & chocolate combination should be given an award for changing my life forever. The turbinado sugar adds another layer of flavour which is amazing. USD 4.79
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds. Can’t go wrong with nuts that are coated with layers of dark chocolate. USD 5.99
- Contemplates Inner Peas. Savoury, crunchy, with just a hint of salt. USD 1.49
- Mixed Nut Butter. A mix of almonds, cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, and pecans, with just a hint of salt. USD 5.99
- Milk Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Bar. Smooth and creamy chocolate with a really cute packaging. USD 1.69
- Dark Chocolate Bar (85%). The smell of dark chocolate is so strong and tasted so good, especially with its price. USD 1.69
- Almond Butter. Almonds dry roasted and turned into nutty, creamy almond butter, enhanced with just a touch of salt. It’s delicious with bread or paired with bananas and apples. USD 5.99
- Pound Plus Milk Chocolate. It served an office of 15 people – everybody seemed to have enjoyed it! We all found it rich and sweet. USD 4.99
- Chocolate Coconut Almonds. There is a whole almond in the center, and is covered in a coconut and chocolate layer. It tastes good but it is a bit greasy. It tastes and smells like coconut. USD 4.99
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. These are so good and highly addictive! I wish I bought more. $4.29
- Joe’s Dark Coffee Squares. It’s like having fully-caffeinated chocolate, only it’s not chocolate… it’s coffee! USD 2.99
- This Fig Walks Into a Bar Cereal Bars. This has a very strong taste of fig. The organic cereal bars are healthy and ideal for a snack if you want to stay away from potato chips. USD 1.99
- Unsulfured Dried Pear Slices. These unsweetened pears are a refreshing and healthy snack. USD 3.49
- Seasalt Butterscotch Caramels. Nothing cures a dull day like sugar. I like having this with my afternoon coffee or tea. USD 3.49
I could have bought more items such as popcorns and crisps but, I preferred to stick to my budget. In case you were wondering, I have a luggage full of Trader Joe’s goodies waiting to be devoured. But for now, excuse me as I have to go to the gym!
Do you have a favourite Trader Joe’s item? Tell us about it!