I am a SUCKER for Valentine’s Day!
It makes me smile whenever I see couples being romantic. Everything just seems better and happier on this day of the year. By now you must have booked a romantic dinner date or ordered flowers or chocolates to be delivered to her office. If not, what are you waiting for?
No budget for a date night? No problem. As I am kuripot, I believe there are ways to celebrate this special day without spending a fortune. Well, maybe this is just me, but I would rather have time (and a lot of attention) on this day rather than presents (unless it is something I really, really like).
Here are some tips that might be useful for you:
- Share a slice of cake. This is a personal favourite as I love cakes! It does not cost much – around AED 30 for a slice at The Cheesecake Factory – which is good enough for 2 people. Sit down and enjoy your coffee and the night will surely be full of cheesy conversations. But if you are extra hungry, share a plate of pasta or steak or whatever you both enjoy eating.
- Take the Dubai Ferry from Al Ghubaiba to Marina. I have tried this once and I would do it again and again. It was a change of scenery from the usual sandy, city vibe to an open sea. For an hour and a half you get to enjoy the breeze and a view of famous landmarks from a different perspective. One-way trip costs AED50/person but you can book a trip for free using certain credit cards.
- Handwritten notes are romantic. But please, not the generic type. Keep it as personal as possible, pointing out what about him or her that makes you happier. Mention how your partner inspires you to be a better person. Be specific. Do this and watch your lover blush!
- Discover a new spot in the city. Whether it is an art gallery or a cafe, or maybe a park that you have not visited.
- Revisit spots that you both liked. It would be nice to go back to where you first went out for a date. Reminisce those moments when both of you were starting to like each other, when you started falling in love, until you became a couple. It would be nice to rekindle the feeling of being a new couple.
- Say how you feel. I know this might be too much, but would you not want to be told that you are loved? Sometimes we don’t say what we feel. There is no point in keeping these bottled-up emotions. If you feel like saying it, then say it. Talk about your dreams and future plans, reassure your loyalty and faithfulness. Keep your conversation meaningful.
- Movie night. If you don’t fancy a night out, order food (or microwave popcorn) and enjoy a Rom-Com in the comforts of your home.
When you are with the one you love, it does not matter what you do or where you go, as long as you make your partner feel extra special. It happens only once a year, so might as well be extra sweet.
But if you can put a little effort into it this Love Month, do it. Your partner deserves a happy one.
This isn’t an exhaustive list of things that you can do on V-day. There are a lot of other V-Day ideas you can try or search online, and feel free to let us know your thoughts in the comments section. We would love to hear from you.